About Me

My photo
London
Just a girl about London town, observing life and ranting about it.

Thursday 25 November 2010

London burning

I watched in awe as students took to the streets again yesterday to protest against the Tories cuts. Before this rioting started in London, I had been watching, with some enthusiasm, the Greeks and French going bonkers on the streets protesting, and I wondered why the Brits were so passive. But now it seems that we will be seeing more action against unfair cuts. 
The Tories love to remind us that the mess we are in now is all Labour's fault, but in my view that is misconceived. I was jolly happy whilst Labour was in power: I had a safe job, my salary was going up, VAT was reasonable, unemployment was down, etc. It might have been eventually doomed, but it felt good. Then the bankers fucked it all up. But it happened all over Europe, so how can the Tories point their scissor-like fingers exclusively to Labour? 
I don't feel so good anymore. And I am guessing the Nation isn't either. By the time the cuts in jobs and benefits and VAT increase take place, starting from next year, we might start seeing a lot more of bus stops being thrashed. Thrashing bus stations is pointless, by the way, so those angry students who smashed that bus stop in Trafalgar Sq, take note: try something a bit more empowering to make your anger noticed. Rotten eggs anyone? 

No comments:

Post a Comment